Experimental and Numerical Study of Pressure Intensity in Detachable Joints of D Series Pumps
Keywords:pressure intensity, tensometric film, main joint, localized zone, specimen of flange fragment, reference zone, numerical simulation of stresses, membrane stresses, experimental simulation, results verification
The object of study is a single-stage double-suction axially split volute casing centrifugal pump.
Background. In the design process of pumps, the problems associated with ensuring the tightness of the axial joint of a pump casing being under the effect of mechanical and temperature loads, are being solved. During the study of axial joint tightness, numerical calculation methods are used to estimate the pressure intensity on the contacting surfaces. A detachable joint under the external load satisfies the criterions of the tightness if the pressure intensity on the sealing surfaces is higher than values of the specific pressure prescribed by regulations. However, inability to experimentally determine the pressure intensity on the contacting surfaces has so far prevented to assess the accuracy of results obtained by the numerical calculation methods.
Objective. In order to verify the numerical results obtained by mathematical models, an experiment was carried out using a special Prescale film that registers the magnitude of the contact pressure on the joint of the specimen model of the flange fragment. Based on the experimental results, an analysis of the pressure intensity distribution was conducted.
Methods. To conduct the experiment, there was developed a method for determining the pressure intensity on the contacting surfaces according to the proposed scheme of the specimen of the flange fragment.
Results. A comparative analysis of the solving results obtained for the contact problem on the finite-element models of the flange fragment and the zone of the pump casing joint in the discharge chamber area showed a good coincidence of the results. Analysis of results obtained experimentally on the specimen of flange fragment and results of the numerical calculation on the flange fragment model also showed a good agreement.
Conclusions. Therefore, results of the calculation of the pressure intensity in the detachable joints on mathematical models have been experimentally confirmed.
- A.S. Kostronoy et al., “Optimizatsiya massy korpusa tsentrobezhnogo nasosa spiral'nogo tipa s gorizontalnym razyemom varirovaniyem kharakteristik zhestkosti konstruktivnykh elementov [Mass Optimization of Centrifugal Pump Volute Casing with Axial Split by Variation of Design Components Stiffness]”, Promyshlennaya Gidravlika i Pnevmatika, Vinnitsa, No. 2 (56), 2017.
- V.F. Khvorost, A.S. Grytsenko and S.V. Syzonenko. “Otsenka vliyaniya nagruzok, deystvuyushchikh na patrubki, na ekspluatatsionnyye pokazateli magistralnykh neftyanykh nasosov [Assessment of the Influence of loads acting on the nozzles on the performance indicators of main oil pumps]”, Kompressornoye i Energeticheskoye Mashinostroyeniye, No. 2 (48), 2017.
- Plenka Prescale, fiksiruyushchaya raspredeleniye udelnogo davleniya v razemnykh soyedineniyakh (2017) [Online]. Available: https://www.fujifilm.eu/ru/produkty/promyshlennye-produkty/plenka-prescale-dlja-izmerenija-raspredelenija-davlenija/plenka-prescale-dlja-ocenki-raspredelenija-okazyvaemogo-davlenija
- N.D. Chainov, et al., Raschetnoye i eksperimentalnoye opredeleniye lokalnykh velichin kontaktnogo davleniya v sopryazhenii detaley porshnya sredneoborotnogo dizelya tipa [An Experimental Measurement and Numerical Calculation of Contact Pressure in a Composite Piston of a Mid-speed Diesel Engine], Moscow, Bauman Moscow State Technical University, 2017.
- ANSYS 14.5, license agreement 1066541.
- SolidWorks 2012, license agreement 1-12403719039.
- GOST 26159-84. Sosudy i apparaty chugunnyye. Normy i metody rascheta na prochnost. Obshchiye trebovaniya. [Cast Iron Vessels and Apparatus. Norms and Methods of Strength Calculation. General Requirements], Мoscow, 1985.
- DSTU 3925-99. Chavun z kulyastym hrafitom dlya vylyvkiv [Cast Iron with Spherical Graphite for Castings], Kyiv, State
- Standard of Ukraine, 2000.
- I.А. Bierger et al., Strength Calculation of Machine Parts: Handbook, Moscow, Mashinostroyeniye, 1993.
- PNAE G-7-002-86. Normy rascheta na prochnost oborudovaniya i truboprovodov atomnyih energeticheskih ustanovok [Strength Analysis Standards for Nuclear Power Unit Equipment and Pipelines], Gosatomenergonadzor SSSR, Energoatomizdat, Moscow, Russia, 1989.
- G.B. Iosilevich. Detali mashin: Uchebnik dlya studentov mashinostroitelnykh spetsialnostey vuzov. [Machine Parts. Tutorial For Students of Engineering Specialities], Moscow, Mashinostroyeniye, 1988.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Андрій Руденко, Владислав Зубко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under CC BY 4.0 that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work