Method for strength calculating of structural elements of mobile machines for flash butt welding of rails
Keywords:flash butt welding of rails, rail welding machine, central axis insulation, upset force, strength calculation technique, bending, crushing
AbstractPurpose. The subject of this study is the strength of the loaded units of mobile machines for flash butt welding by refining high-strength rails. The theme of the work is related to the development of a technique for strength calculating of the insulation of the central axis of these machines. The aim of the paper is to establish the mathematical dependence of the pressure on the insulation on the magnitude of deflections of the central axis under the action of the upset force. Design/methodology/approach. Using the Mohr’s method, the displacements of the investigated sections of the central axis under the action of the upset force and the equivalent load distributed along the length of the insulation were calculated. The magnitude of the load distributed along the length of the insulation equivalent to the draft force was determined from the condition that the displacements of the same cross sections are equal under the action of this load and under the action of the upset force. Results. An analytical expression for establishing the relationship between the pressure acting on the insulation and the magnitude of the upset force and the geometric dimensions of the structural elements of the machine was obtained. Based on the condition of the strength of the insulation for crushing, an analytical expression for establishing the relationship between the length of insulation and the size of the upset force, the geometric dimensions of the structural elements of the machine, and the physical and mechanical properties of the insulation material was obtained. Originality/cost. The proposed methodology was tested in the calculation and design of the K1045 mobile rail welding machine, 4 of which is currently successfully used in the USA for welding rails in hard-to-reach places.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Shvets, Yu.V., Didkovskii, A.V., Chvertko, P.N., Shvets, V.I. and Mikitin, Ya.I. (2008), Technology and equipment for resistance flash welding of railway crossings with rail ends through an austenitic insert, Welding International, Vol. 22, no 5, pp. 338-341.
- Kavunichenko, O.V., Antipin, Y.V. and Tarasenko, A.I. (2017), Research the possibility of direct welding (without intermediate insert) of railway frogs with rail ends, Abstracts of 9-th international conference of young scientists on welding and related technologies (WRTYS), Kyiv, Ukraine, May 23-26.
- Solodovnikov, S.A., Kuchuk-Jacenko, S.I., Saharnov, V.A. at al. (1974), Oborudovanie dlja kontaktnoj svarki rel'sov i ego jekspluatacija, Naukova dumka, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Kuchuk-Jacenko, S.I. (1992), Kontaktnaja stykovaja svarka oplavleniem, Naukova dumka, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Antipin, E.V., Didkovskij, A.V., Kavunichenko, A.V. i Gushhin, K.V. (2013), Osobennosti kontaktnoj stykovoj svarki vysokoprochnyh zheleznodorozhnyh rel'sov sovremennogo proizvodstva, 7-th nauchno-tehnicheskaja konferencija molodyh uchjonyh i specialistov po svarke i rodstvennym tehnologijam, Kiev, Ukraina, May 22-24.
- Kuchuk-Jacenko, S.I., Didkovskij, A.V. and Shvec, V.I. (2008), Tehnologija i oborudovanie dlja kontaktnoj svarki vysokoprochnyh rel'sov, Avtomaticheskaja svarka, No. 11, pp. 129–138.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Shvets, V.I., Didkovskii, A.V. and Taranova, T.G. (2010), Investigation of the weldability by resistance welding of rails strengthened by heat treatment, Welding International, Vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 455-461, doi.org/10.1080/09507110903464838
- Pin Ma and Bondaruk, A.V. (2008), Opyt i perspektivy primenenija oborudovanija dlja svarki rel'sov v KNR, Avtomaticheskaja svarka, no. 10, pp. 45–47.
- Kuchuk-Yatsenko, S.I., Koval', M.Y. and dr. (2017), Mashyna dlya kontaktnoho stykovoho zvaryuvannya reyok, Natsional'na zayavka Ukrayiny na vynakhid № a201512380, Opubl. 26.06.2017, Byul. № 12/2017.
- Shvab"yuk, V.I. (2009), Opir materialiv: navchal'nyy posibnyk, Znannja, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Pysarenko, H.S., Kvitka, O.L. and Umans'kyy, E.S. (2004), Opir materialiv: pidruchnyk, 2nd edn, in Pisarenko, G.S. (ed.), Vyshcha Shkola, Kyiv, Ukraine.
How to Cite
Moltasov, A. V., Tkach, P. M., & Krasnowski, K. (2017). Method for strength calculating of structural elements of mobile machines for flash butt welding of rails. Mechanics and Advanced Technologies, (3(81), 5–9. https://doi.org/10.20535/2521-1943.2017.81.114528
Copyright (c) 2020 Mechanics and Advanced Technologies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The ownership of copyright remains with the Authors.
Authors may use their own material in other publications provided that the Journal is acknowledged as the original place of publication and National Technical University of Ukraine “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute” as the Publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under CC BY 4.0 that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work