Hydrodynamic characteristics of a single-stage high shear mixer with compensation of axial pressure in the end clearance between rotor and housing
Keywords:high shear mixer, volume flowrate, pressure drop, energy consumption, hydraulic efficiency, pumping
AbstractThe research aim is to determine the influence of regime parameters on the hydrodynamic characteristics of a single-stage high shear mixer with the “rotor-stator” arrangement of operating devices and compensation of axial pressure in the end clearance between the rotor and the housing. The dependences of volume flowrate, apparatus input and output pressure drop and engine energy consumption from rotor rotation frequency at different degrees of overlapping of passage section on the outlet pipeline, as well as the dependences of apparatus pressure drop, engine energy consumption and hydraulic efficiency from volume flowrate at constant rotation frequency of the drive shaft have been suggested according to the experimental results. The possibility of applying the principles of blade machines theory to the analysis of operation of the high shear mixer with considered design has been confirmed. The absence of a qualitative effect of penetrating side perforation of the rotor on hydraulic characteristics of the high shear mixer in cases with small areas has been proven. It has been determined that for the researched design of the high shear mixer the hydrodynamic component of power inputs does not exceed 4 %, and consequently does not significantly affect the total energy consumption of the apparatus, although the amount of energy is sufficient to create a pressure drop that is necessary to ensure the operation of the apparatus in the in-line mode without using additional equipment and integrated devices.
- Balabudkin, M.A. (1983), Rotorno-pulsatcionnye apparaty v khimiko-farmatcevticheskoi pormyshlennosti [Rotary pulsation apparatus in the chemical-pharmaceutical industry], Meditcina, Moscow, Russian.
- Promtov, M.A. (2015), Metody rascheta kharakteristik rotornogo impulsnogo apparata [Methods for calculating the characteristics of a rotary pulse apparatus], Izd-vo FGBOU VPO «TGTU», Tambov, Russian.
- Pirozhenko, I.A. (2005), “Hydrodynamics and thermal effects in a cylindrical rotary pulsation apparatus”, avtoref. dys. na zdobuttja nauk. stupenja kand. tehn. nauk: spec. 05.14.06 “Tehnichna teplofizyka ta promyslova teploenergetyka”, Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Budrik, V.G. (2005), “Creation and research of a rotary pulsation plant for the production of liquid and pasty dairy products”, avtoref. dis. na zdobuttja nauk. stupenja kand. tehn. nauk: spec. 05.18.12, “Processy i apparaty pishhevyh proizvodstv”, Moskva, Russian.
- Yvanec, G.E., Plotnykov, V.A. and Plotnykov, P.V. (2000), “Еnergetycheskaja harakterystyka rotorno-pul'sacyonnogo apparata”, Zhurnal prykladnoj hymyy, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1511-1514.
- Seminsjkyi, O.O. and Vasylenko, R.M. (2015), “Eksperymentaljne doslidzhennja energhetychnykh parametriv potokiv u robochykh orghanakh rotorno-puljsacijnogho aparata”, Visnyk NTUU “KPI”, Serija “Khimichna inzhenerija, ekologhija ta resursozberezhennja”, no. 1, pp. 83-86.
- Obodovich, A.N. and Lymar', A.Ju. (2014), “Issledovanie gidravlicheskih harakteristik rotorno-pul'sacionnogo apparata pri obrabotke vodozernovoj smesi”, Vostochno-Evropejskij zhurnal peredovyh tehnologij, no. 67, pp. 19-22, https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21129704.
- Pumps are dynamic. Test methods, (2009), DERZhSPOZhYVSTANDART UKRAI'NY, DSTU GOST 6134-2009 (ISO 9906:1999), Kyiv, Ukraine.
- Idel'chik, I.E. (1992), Spravochnik po gidravlicheskim soprotivlenijam, Mashinostroenie, Moscow, Russian.
- Gülich, J.F. (2014), Centrifugal pumps, Springer Heidelberg Dordrech, London-New York, English.
How to Cite
Seminskyi, O., & Kolobashkin, L. (2017). Hydrodynamic characteristics of a single-stage high shear mixer with compensation of axial pressure in the end clearance between rotor and housing. Mechanics and Advanced Technologies, (3(81), 69–74. https://doi.org/10.20535/2521-1943.2017.81.119080
Copyright (c) 2020 Mechanics and Advanced Technologies
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The ownership of copyright remains with the Authors.
Authors may use their own material in other publications provided that the Journal is acknowledged as the original place of publication and National Technical University of Ukraine “Igor Sikorsky Kyiv Polytechnic Institute” as the Publisher.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under CC BY 4.0 that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work